• May 3 - Awards Night - 7:00p.m.

• May 5 - Seniors Last Day

• May 23-25 - Final Exams

• May 25 - LAST DAY OF SCHOOL

Filed under Opinion

Harvard Republican Club

The 125th Executive Board of the Harvard Republican Club was recently elected into office, adding to their legacy as the longest standing collegiate political club. However, for the first time in their long history, the club has refused to endorse their party’s candidate, Donald Trump.

“His authoritarian tendencies and flirtations with fascism are unparalleled in the history of our democracy,” the club said in a statement about their decision, “He hopes to divide us by race, by class, and by religion, instilling enough fear and anxiety to propel himself to the White House.”

The Club joins a long list of notable members of their party against The Donald, including Paul Ryan, Ben Sasse, Mitt Romney, Jeb Bush, George W. Bush AND their father. It seems a little odd that the elders of the Republican Party are all refusing to endorse this man.

It is no secret that there is a strong, conservative presence at Mount Michael. Adolescents’ beliefs and ideals are still being formed by the time they reach high school, so upon entering an environment like our own, it can be easy to come out believing the nine most terrifying words in the English language are “I’m from the government and I’m here to help.” I strongly believe that if a poll was taken on students’ favorite candidate this year, more than two-thirds would give their support to Trump. However, I can say, along with many others, that Donald Trump is NOT a conservative.

Donald Trump today is not the same Donald Trump 10 years ago, or 5 years ago, or even 6 months ago. This mixture of characters has seen a total of five party switches. Trump opposes nearly all key principles of a conservative Republican, from higher tariffs and taxes to large-scale federal health care and education. It’s a mystery to me how he was able to gain as much support as he has for being a fraud. His ignorant comments over the last year have made the average American associate political conservativism with social bigotry. I don’t want to vote for Hillary Clinton because I agree with her policies or her past actions, but if Donald Trump wins this election he will be the last “Republican” to do so.