• May 3 - Awards Night - 7:00p.m.

• May 5 - Seniors Last Day

• May 23-25 - Final Exams

• May 25 - LAST DAY OF SCHOOL

Filed under News, Showcase

Williams codes new scheduling app

Students in 5th period physics take notes while Mr. Michael Williams lectures on centripetal force. Mr. Williams began teaching physics at the beginning of the 2013-2014 school year.

Miles Hock

Miles Hock

Mr. Michael Williams has a lot on his plate this winter season. He is the honors calculus and a physics teacher at school. He is also creating a computer program for his master’s degree in teaching mathematics. The program will “optimize scheduling at Mount Michael,” he said.

Mr. Williams decided to code in a language called python. It will make the program easy to code and will help advance it.

“It is one of the most powerful computer languages. A lot of commercial businesses use Python. It is very versatile and it is easy to code complex things,” Dash Wedergren ‘18 said.

The goal of the program is supposed to minimize the number of students in each class to sixteen or less and eliminate any errors. It also allows more students to take the courses that they want to take.

“In theory, It would help so that students optimize on the classes that they can take,” class scheduler Mr. Jason Mackeprang said.

Making a program like this does not come without some difficulties. Although not many, Williams had to figure out the problems within the program so that it would run. One mistake could ruin the purpose of the program.

“The main obstacle was trying to figure out the best way to put in data for the language to use,” Williams said.

Williams is getting his masters at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. He wants to become better at what he likes to do and apply it to his role as a teacher.

“In school I always liked science and math,” Williams said. “I always want to do better. Constant improvement is one of my goals.”

Williams first got involved with teaching when he was at UNO. Undergraduate students were asked to teach labs.

“Not only was I doing my studies, but I was also gaining teaching experience,” Williams said. “After doing that, I decided teaching was what I wanted to do.”

The project for his graduate degree is not the only thing on his mind this month.here is preparation for finals, coaching the robotics teams, and most importantly making sure that all the planning for his wedding is done. Although Williams is tied up with a few things outside of school, he still finds time to help answer questions that students may have.