photo courtesy of Flickr.com

Android vs. iPhone

February 29, 2016

The debate between these two major electronics companies has been a long standing battle. There are pros and cons to both sides of the arguments, and different people like different things. But some people refuse to look at the other side of the spectrum and stubbornly stick with their own phone. So which one is really better?

iPhone

photo courtesy of Flickr.com

There’s no doubt that almost everyone has one of the following two types of phones: iPhone and Android. Because of that, there’s so much competition in every aspect of the phone. Everyone wants bigger screens, better cameras, more apps, more data, etc. But which of the two brands honestly beats out the other.

First off, let me say that I am not biased or completely against one of the two brands. I have had both an Android and iPhone and let me say that both do a swell job on performance.  But there’s no avoiding the fact that iPhone beats out Android. From the camera features to its software updates, iPhone edges out Android in most aspects but not by much.

First let’s start with the phones themselves. Both are very similar in a lot of ways. There’s a lot of swiping, tapping, and pinch-and-zoom going on. However in my opinion, Apple makes the phone overall much easier to use. An example is the simplicity of the designing. Anyone can use the iPhone because the home screen has all the apps and features laid out perfectly. Android is not complicated for heavy technology users but the interface and apps are no doubt more difficult to use.

For example, my Samsung Tablet struggles at times to use the google maps app and the games show obvious signs of lag and crashing. On the other hand, my iPhone does an impressive job with the processing speed and apps run much smoother.

This leads me to my next topic: Apps. Looking through both devices, the app stores are very different in what they have to offer. Of course, there is no doubt that big apps such as Twitter, Madden Mobile, Scorecenter, and Spotify are available to both brands. However, the app stores remind me of the analogy of apples to oranges. Games and apps vary tremendously for users who have specific interests.

Ultimately, I prefer iPhone’s store because the apps there suit my interests more completely. Generally speaking, the games come out early and are of higher quality because the games feel more complete.

Finally, what impresses me about Apple is the security it provides. Android devices let anyone download apps and hack into devices with relative ease. Apple one-ups Android in the fact that security is strong. Despite Android allowing more creativity in customization, iPhones deliver a better and more user-friendly experience to anyone.