Filed under Head to Head, Opinion

Suicide Squad Hits the Mark

Suicide Squad might have a 26 on Rotten Tomatoes and the trailers might have over-hyped the movie, but I still like it. Even though it has a worse rating than Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, I think that despite all the negative feedback from viewers it was a good movie.

From what I have heard from everyone that saw the movie, their biggest complaint was that the Joker was not in it enough. From what I saw in the movie, the Joker might have just been a taste as to what is to come. In the DC comics the Joker is not a big part of the Suicide Squad. So why would the screen writers include the Joker? My guess is that the Joker was in the film to give their audience something to look forward to, like a preview.

As long as previews are in the air, the trailers for Suicide Squad are just how most trailers go. The trailer makes it look amazing, but the movie is not what it promised. Very rarely will there be a movie where the trailers are not as good. So from the moment I saw the Suicide Squad trailer, I knew that the movie would not be as good as it was made out to be. That should have been expected by everyone. So when someone says that Suicide Squad is trash because the trailers over-hyped it, I think that they should have expected it.

Another complaint was about the characters that were actually in the movie. However I think that the characters were great. Will Smith was an amazing Deadshot and Margot Robbie was a great Harley Quinn.

That was the biggest complaint though. People believe that there was too much character development on Deadshot and Harley Quinn. The rest of the characters were not given enough background and story and screen time.

With that being said, the plot made it for Deadshot to be a sort of leader for the Suicide Squad. As far as Harley Quinn, her relationship with the Joker is a big reason for her screen time. If you take the Joker out of the movie, she wouldn’t be there as much.

If you think about it though, if every character had equal development, it would not provide the mystery behind some of the characters, which makes them even creepier. It is hard to make bad guys bad if you give them a long, sad, and interesting backstory. I believe that the backstory problem is not a problem at all and people are just finding ways to make the movie look bad.

The music from the movie seems to be the one big praise that the movie did get though. The soundtrack has hits that are still on the top charts. Big hits being “Sucker for Pain” featuring Lil Wayne, Ty Dolla Sign, Wiz Khalifa, Imagine Dragons, Logic, and X Ambassadors and purple Lamborghini. The other really big song being “Heathens” by Twenty One Pilots.

Overall, I think if you do not see the trailers too much and do not know a whole lot about the comic origins of the Suicide Squad, like I do, you would think that the movie is good. That and I think that Suicide Squad is just DC establishing future films and trying to be as good as Marvel. They are not as good yet, but they are trying and I think Suicide Squad was a decent attempt at it.