Staff Weighs in on Suicide Squad

August 30, 2016

Suicide Squad Misses the Mark

The biggest villains for Suicide Squad were trailers and Christopher Nolan. Before I start I would like to clarify that I am not a DC hater, in fact I really wanted this movie to be good. But this movie is just not good.

The plot follows various villains forced by the government to fight a greater evil to save the world. This is the central plot however there are many side plot that seem to be made just to divert the audience’s attention from the squad itself. Like many other DC movies this movie also feels rushed. You can tell that DC is making this movie just to keep up with Marvel rather than taking their time.

Marvel took about 4 years to give each character a movie to set up a backstory so each character is explored deeply. DC however takes about 15 minutes in the beginning of the movie to give each character a backstory. This is very unfortunate because in the comics all these characters have so many layers to them which this movie failed to show. The lack of character development seemed to affect great performances; Will Smith played Deadshot perfectly but since you didn’t know much about his characters past, the acting didn’t matter as much.

Another problem I found with this movie is that the Suicide Squad, who are supposed to be evil, were rather good. The whole concept of the Suicide Squad was to show evil people fighting evil while still being evil, but in this movie they portrayed the villains in a way which we were supposed to feel bad for the villains.

While this may seem absurd, I felt Suicide Squad would have been better if they released no trailers. The trailers were very misleading in concerns to the tone of this film. The trailers made it seem like this movie would be a 2 hour action packed movie, but that is far from the truth. The actual movie has a relative slow pace, while the action is there it seems far too rushed and reminiscent of a Transformers movie (the newer ones).

One of the most anticipated parts of this movie was Jared Leto as the Joker and unfortunately it doesn’t live up to the hype but it wasn’t Leto’s fault. The Joker was completely unnecessary to this film, it seemed like they put him in this movie just to have him in there. You can tell that Leto put a lot of effort in to play this character but it all seems pointless because of his limited screen time. His Joker doesn’t leave you with anything memorable but it’s because of the lack of him in the movie. Even Leto has spoken up and is frustrated with the lack of his screen time in the theatrical final cut. Another disadvantage with Leto’s Joker is Heath Ledger. No one can ever forget Ledger’s especially in only eight years.

Overall the actors all shine in their roles but it is all weighed down by bad editing, bad screenplay and bad character development.