Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Adidas is Steps Ahead In the Shoe Industry

Hudson Hohman'18 and Dan Jewell'17 show their love for Adidas shoes.

courtesy of Gina Fosco

Hudson Hohman'18 and Dan Jewell'17 show their love for Adidas shoes. "I like that the shoes are simple and comfortable," Jewell said. "They're like a blanket for my feet

The Air Jordan shoes are regarded as some of the best on the market. Nike in general can be seen as the kings of shoes because they are so popular, but I don’t think that other brands get enough credit, specifically Adidas.

Adidas is overlooked for the steps in innovation that they take. Their Boost design is a step ahead in the shoe industry due to their innovation in design. While Adidas made that, Nike was going back to their regular design and sticking with what works for them. It makes them money, but a market needs innovation and Nike is not doing that. Adidas is experimenting with the whole look of shoes. For example, the Tubular shoe line is very unique in design. One model has a leather cover with a design like a basketball shoe but the style of Yeezys. Nike’s new Air Jordans are the same model as before with a little change. I’m not saying I don’t like them, but Nike is not taking steps forward in innovating the shoe industry.

Not only is Adidas better than Nike when it comes to innovation and style, but it is also better than most shoe companies that I know of. Converse are seemingly timeless, but they have stuck with the All Star design since the dawn of time. New Balance is kind of like Nike in how they have changed their designs a little bit, but not enough to call it innovative. I cannot say anything bad about how Reebok is doing with their shoes because they have changed up design, but I think Adidas is doing more work in changing the whole market. Puma seems to be following the same design of Adidas and Nike, so not much innovation there.

I am not saying that Adidas is far superior than all other shoe companies because I have owned shoes from all of these companies and they have all been fantastic. I am only talking about the design, innovation and style of the shoes. Performance is a whole other debate. I see that Adidas is doing the most work to innovate the shoe industry and I hope that other companies soon follow.