Filed under News, Showcase

39 Units of Blood Donated to the Red Cross

Red+Cross+worker+goes+to+prepare+a+blood+kit.+Senior+dean%2C+Paul+Hotovy%2C+was+among+39+other+community+members+that+volunteered+including+staff%2C+faculty%2C+and+students.+
Red Cross worker goes to prepare a blood kit. Senior dean, Paul Hotovy, was among 39 other community members that volunteered including staff, faculty, and students.

Brother Luke

Brother Luke

Giving blood is an important part of the Red Cross’s work to help people receive the medical care that they need. Their work is important because without it, many people would die from blood loss. The need is well known to many people, but it is much easier to recognize the goodness of the act than to participate in it. Approximately 38 percent of the population is eligible to donate blood, but according to the Red Cross, less than 10 percent of Americans participate in this activity. In other countries, numbers are even lower and many people expect monetary compensation for their “donation.” What the Red Cross has been able to do with their blood donation recruiting is very impressive, with over 13.6 million donations per year from 6.8 million donors. Mount Michael hosted a blood drive on Wednesday, November 2nd and helped to save lives by requesting donations from students and faculty, encouraging them to keep in mind how important this donation can be for people in need of blood.

“It’s a worthwhile thing for people to do,” said Paul Hotovy ‘03. “It would be worth it to do no matter what since it is free and could help someone else.”

For many people, the process seems difficult and painful. But this is a common misconception that prevents many capable donors from participating in blood drives.

“The nurses were good, and they wanted to answer my questions,” Hotovy said. “ It [the needle] was in and done in minutes.”

Many myths about blood donation push away potential donors, and the Red Cross works to fight these misconceptions with facts. But, individuals must do the same in their local communities to dispose of these myths and encourage blood drives as an easy and effective way to help others.

While there are many blood drives throughout the city, Mount Michael’s drive gives an opportunity to students that otherwise usually would be unavailable. It might not seem like much, but 39 units of blood were donated this Wednesday between 8 and noon in the Palace. Each of these donations could be used to help save the life of up to three people. That means that Mount Michael donors alone could be helping to save up to 117 lives. But, there is still a shortage of blood donations and sometimes people that need blood are unable to receive it since there is none on hand to be transfused. This is why the Red Cross continues to advertise their work and encourage people to participate. There is never a bad time to donate, and blood is always needed.