Filed under News, Showcase

Operation Others 5K Fun Run

Alex Crnkovich ‘19 starts the Fun Run at Zorinsky Lake. He ended up getting third overall, but was the first Mount Michael member to finish the race.

Operation Others (OO) held a 5K Fun Run to raise money to help feed over a thousand people this winter season. The race took place at Zorinsky Lake at 9:00 a.m. on Saturday the 29th. Faculty, students, families, and friends took part in the run/walk. The winner was given an Operation Others longsleeve t-shirt and was the first to receive a bagel and water that was waiting for the participants at the end of the race.

“I wanted to support the cause; to help those in the community, and it was a good opportunity to run,” Amy Masek, theology teacher, said.

Alex Crnkovich ‘19 participated in this year’s fun run with his parents. He was the first Mount Michael member to finish the race, placing third overall.

“I haven’t run in a while and I wanted to get back into it,” Crnkovich said.

The race started at Shelter 5 on the Zorinsky Lake Trail. The runners started by going uphill, but the course leveled off quickly. They then faced a long straight stretch of trail bordering the lake. The next part of the trail was a lengthy shaded area surrounded by trees on both sides of the winding trail. As the trees dwindled down, the lake came back into view. The last section was long and had an open landscape. As the participants reached the halfway mark they had to turn around and run back. Throughout the race, Operation Others core team members were cheering on the participants and showing them where to turn.

People weren’t the only participants in the fun run. Dewey, the Crnkovich’s yellow lab, was one of the very few dogs that got to experience during the run that day.

“He likes to exercise and run so we go up to lake Zorinsky all the time to run,” Dr. Randy Crnkovich, biology teacher, said.

The fun run was scheduled for the right day. The weather was great and people were willing to come to the race in order to help raise money to feed people.

“It was a perfect day for the Fun Run. The weather was gorgeous, and the water was calm and like glass,” Masek said. “I like how a lot of people were interested in helping the cause and the comradery of the people.”

Dr. Crnkovich also agrees that it was “neat for all the kids from different schools to get together and make it happen.”