Filed under News, Showcase

Journalism Team takes Indianapolis

Kyeongmin Kim'18 practices using various settings on his camera as a part of workshop session at the JEA/NSPA National convention in Indianapolis.  Nine students on the publications team attended the two day event during November.

Kyeongmin Kim'18 practices using various settings on his camera as a part of workshop session at the JEA/NSPA National convention in Indianapolis. Nine students on the publications team attended the two day event during November.

Cade Johnson

Cade Johnson

The 2016-2017 JEA/NSPA Journalism convention held at Indianapolis started off with a 11-hour ride to the hotel. With my home country being half the size of Nebraska, I had never gone on a trip on ground that took longer than five hours.

Thanks to the charger ports and the small games led by Marian on the bus it was not really boring.

The convention was packed with workshops and lectures to attend. Theses hour-long workshops, as everyone expected, were almost always packed and a seat could be provided only if you were there 20 minutes early. I had the chance to learn the logics of photojournalism, how to improve the quality of photos and aftereffects. Some other students focused on layouts, some on sports writing, some on leadership qualities and so on.

One of the most commonly shared opinions of all the speakers was to utilize the local newspaper because it can be your best friend; never hesitate for an interview and do as much as possible; enjoy journalism itself and so on.

As a small team that has to participate in paper, yearbook and the online website, there was a chance to meet with other schools and see how their work are. There were some amazing papers; ‘THE MOUNT’ also was a big hit, with other schools taking copies.

Aside from the hefty load of workshops, there also was a dance many students attended on Friday night. It was a chance to meet and greet different students from the country and beyond Including students from London and China.

The J-Squad also cheered on the Huskers as they took won against Minnesota on game day. Near the hotel, some watched or even participated in a massive anti-Trump rally going on in downtown. We rested at the pool after days of hard work.

The Journalism convention is to be held next year at Dallas, Texas. I am ready to go for another year, as this year definitely was a memorable event.