Filed under Showcase, Sports

Wrestling team shows their potential

Zhaoliang Xu

Zhaoliang Xu

With a change in the coaching position, the wrestling team looks forward to having head coach Bob Sullivan lead them to a winning season and hopefully state. Before they focus on state, though, the team’s veterans will be necessary for coaching and mentoring the freshmen.   

At Thursday’s meet, the wrestling team showed their potential against the teams of Bishop Neumann, Douglas County West and Neligh-Oakdale Public. After many tough matches, the team was able to place 2nd. Despite earning second place, this meet reminded everyone that the team still has a lot to learn. With only two returning seniors, the juniors and sophomores are needing to step up and show the new faces on the team how things are done.

“Thursday was a good experience for many of our wrestlers,” coach Sullivan said. “A lot of them do not have varsity experience and now know what to expect. It was good for them to get mat experience and see the speed of the sport in which they need to compete at. All in all, it was a good starting point for the team.”

After the meet Aidan Pace ‘19 knew what the team needed to work on.

“We need to focus during practice and bring up the intensity tremendously,” Pace said. This is Pace’s first year as a wrestler and he is hoping to make an impact on the team. Although Pace came up short in both of his matches, he has learned that “losing is a part of winning” and he has discovered that strength is good, but technique is best.

With much of the team’s talent leaving with last year’s seniors, this has given coach Sullivan a chance to find new talent among the freshmen. Kolten Koubsky ‘20 stood out on Thursday by showing strength, talent, and the willingness to keep going. Patrick Fayad ‘19 had similar thoughts.

“We have potential, but we need more experience and to be more aggressive,” Fayad said after Thursday’s meet. “With less seniors on the team, it’s going to be a difficult season, but with more practice we will be ready.” This is Fayad’s second year and he is one of the team’s leaders and motivators. Fayad has stepped up along with other sophomores like Jarrett Cline’19 and Trevin Detwiler’19.

With the first meet over the team has shown great potential but still has a ways to go. With some motivation and hard work, the team has plenty more matches to show improvement.