Filed under News

Snow Day With No Snow Means No Diversity Day

Andrew Wilson'19 walks ahead of Shin Fujita'19(not pictured) while experimenting with video on Jan 16.

Diversity Day was postponed due to the icy weather that shut down part of the midwest on Monday, Jan. 16. A day of discussion and reflection had been planned to help to respect Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and to embrace the diversity in the Mount Michael Community.

Some students were excited for the upcoming event.

“I was happy that there was another day of school, but without classes,” Robbie Masek ‘20 said.

Many students were in agreement. Most schools do not have school on this federal holiday, so when school was canceled due to ice, many other students were excited.

On Sunday at 12:14 p.m. Head of School, Dr. David Peters, sent out a notice via email and SchoolMessenger that informed students and parents that school was canceled due to dangerous travel and icy conditions. Although there was no snow, Diversity Day would be rescheduled.

On Monday, as the icy conditions continued, the temperature rose to just above freezing. The rain continued to come down, but it was still dangerous to travel. Another message came from Dr. Peters at 1:57 p.m. on Monday, that school was canceled Tuesday as well. Some called this extra day off an added a major bonus.

“Technically we got two days of school off when other schools only got one, because they already had Martin Luther King Jr. Day off,” Daniel Davies ‘19 said.

During the ice days, some students like Diego Amian Parames ‘19 went “ice sledding.” Others like Davies hung out with friends and played video games.

“We worked on a remodeling project in our kitchen, otherwise I would have been playing games,” Lucas Rief  ‘18 said.

Some also stayed indoors and caught up on sleep.  

One group of students did not get to stay home, they were stuck at Mount Michael. However, the deans Mr. Paul Hotovy, Mr. Michael Collins and Mr. Jacob Connealy made it better by making meals for the boarding students who were stuck at Mount Michael. This kept the cooks safer, so they did not have to travel over the ice days.

The students had pizza, and got to relax a little bit afterwards because the deans did the dishes for the students.

“It surprised us,”  Kevin Zhang ‘19 said.

The deans justified themselves.

“It seemed like the nice thing to do, and we had a lot of time, we wanted to give them a break,” Mr. Hotovy the senior dean said.

Not only was it surprising, but the students were grateful.

“It was really nice that the deans did dishes for us,” Harry Yin ‘19 said.

Also students mentioned that the pizza was really good. Other than the food, Yin said he thought the extended weekend as a boarder was “really boring.”

Mr. Hotovy also said the students played in the gym, or turned their brains to “mush” through video games. Monday night and Sunday, a few students watched Thor the Dark World and Interstellar, while having cake and ice cream.

Other seven day students, like Amian Parames and others, went to their friends houses over the weekend.

Tuesday, the temperature warmed up enough that the ice started to melt. School resumed on Wednesday. Diversity Day has now been rescheduled for Monday, Jan. 30. The schedule will include an 8:40 late start, guest speakers, activities, discussion, and prayer services.