Filed under Features, Showcase

Archbishop shares his thoughts on CSW and more

During the sign of peace, Archbishop George Lucas greets Abbot Michael Liebl.  This was the first time his eminence said Mass at Mount Michael during Catholic Schools Week.

During the sign of peace, Archbishop George Lucas greets Abbot Michael Liebl. This was the first time his eminence said Mass at Mount Michael during Catholic Schools Week.

Nolan Zeger

Nolan Zeger

When the man that met two popes came to say Mass on Wednesday agreed to an interview, my nerves were on edge.  But as he cheerily introduced himself and took off his vestments, it was clear to me that this was a man who was easy to talk to.

The Archbishop also administered Mass at Saint Cecilia’s to three classes of eighth graders as a part of Catholic schools week (CSW).  While this has been an event that has been happening for awhile, he said this Wednesday was the first time he had done Mass at Mount Michael specifically for Catholic schools week.

Catholic schools week is an important week for the archdiocesan community.  It gathers and unites catholic schools in the area.  It also provides a showcase for them.  The Archbishop said that people from out of state come in during this time to look at what our community is doing to see if it can help them improve theirs.

“It gives us an opportunity to show off the good things happening at Catholic schools,”  Archbishop Lucas said.

Beyond the community, CSW is important to the archbishop.  He likes to visit the different schools and see all the students, especially since was once a teacher.

“It reminds me of what a blessing we have at this archdioceses,” the Archbishop said.

According to Lucas, Catholic Schools Week is important enough that there is a department for it in the Archdiocesan office.  

The archbishop stays involved in catholic schools beyond CSW as well.  He says Mass at schools as well as helps to raise funds for scholarships and grants for teachers.  Besides the schools, the Archbishop oversees 140 parishes as part of his job.

Before, he was appointed by Pope John Paul the Second to be the bishop of Illinois, and in 2009 was appointed as the Archbishop of Omaha.  He has met Pope Francis as well.  He became a priest at the age of 26 and taught at a school in St. Louis. As Archbishop, he is a prominent member of the Archdiocesan community.

“I get to meet a lot of people,” he said.

CSW is important to the community and the Archbishop alike.  It gives people a chance to come together and be united in faith as a community.  If one is struggling in their faith, CSW is a way to help that.  Archbishop  Lucas says anyone who is having this issue should remember that God made us lovingly, and to live forever.

“I would encourage anyone to who’s feeling this to pray,” he said.