Filed under News

Catholic Schools Week celebrated with four events

Fr John Hangemann, Trevin Detwiler'19 and Nick Snyder'18 lead the responsorial pslam during a Mass for Catholic Schools Week.  To celebrate the week students were able to dress down and some snacks were served at lunch.

Fr John Hangemann, Trevin Detwiler'19 and Nick Snyder'18 lead the responsorial pslam during a Mass for Catholic Schools Week. To celebrate the week students were able to dress down and some snacks were served at lunch.

Nolan Zeger

Nolan Zeger

Mount Michael celebrated Catholic Schools Week from January 31st to February 3rd in four different ways: dress down privileges, the kickoff luncheon for Night of Knights, a special Mass with Archbishop George Lucas, and an after school warball tournament.

Students and teachers were given permission to dress down every day except for the day the Archbishop came. On those days, students and teachers were allowed to wear casual Mount Michael clothing. Many students thought it was a nice change of pace.

“I like the fact that we got to dress loosely and a bit more comfortably,” Garrett Gloeb‘18 said.

After school every day, at 9:00 P.M., each class faced off in a war ball tournament. The seniors came in first, followed by the sophomores, the juniors, and the freshmen. Boarders and day students  were invited to participate.

“[I liked it because] we actually won a game,” Levi Kicken‘19 said.

On Wednesday, Archbishop George Lucas came and said Mass.  After Mass Nick Carson’17 presented him with a framed reading in calligraphy produced by Abbott Theodore.  Afterwards journalism students interview Lucas about his role in the diocese.

“He was actually really chill,” Nolan Zeger‘19, said.

The Archbishop often travels to different schools to speak and say Mass, but this was his first time doing so specifically for Catholic Schools Week.

“It gives us an opportunity to show off the good things happening in Catholic Schools,” Archbishop Lucas said.

On Thursday, the Night of Knights Kickoff Luncheon was held. This year’s contest was a water bottle-flipping contest. That prize went to the Sophomores winning them the prize of going first in line for lunch  The sophomore win was tough for some.

“I can’t believe Seth [Carpenter‘20] failed! We were gonna win!” Donovan Kaelin‘20 said.

After the competition, a space-themed lunch was served. Green hot dogs, colored eggs, and burgers were labeled as “Martian Larvae,” “Alien Eyeballs,” and “Moon Rocks,” while students were given fruit punch and green lemonade, titled “Jupiter Rain” and “Martian Blood,” to drink.

Because of the week’s events, some students were reminded of different things they did at their old schools for Catholic Schools week.

“At St. Pat’s in Elkhorn each student would have jobs to do like hand out papers and usher to seat. Then after mass they would give tours to families and write letters to their parents with much thought and love to thank them for the education,” Sebastian Esquivel’19 said.

Catholic Schools Week is an important part of many people’s lives. From all the memorable events for students to release the tension of the year, to the recognition Catholic schools get for all their accomplishments and splendor, Catholic Schools Week will continue to be a week held dear in the hearts of participants everywhere.