Filed under Sports

Mount Michael goes to Districts, Sends Three Wrestlers to State

With the winter season coming to an end, the wrestling team faced their hardest test of the season, districts. The wrestling team participated in the annual NSAA Class B-3 Wrestling District Tournament on Feb 10 and Feb 11. There, Jean-Marie Djidjoho ’17, Jarrett Cline ’19, Tommy Whitaker ’18 and 15 other wrestlers competed to qualify for state competition.

“This was a difficult challenge to both our physical and mental toughness,” Jarrett Cline ’19 said after Saturday’s matches, “but we were able to pull through.” He finished fourth in his weight class qualifying him for state which he attributed to experience.  Cline qualified last year as well.  

Djidjoho and Whitaker were also leaders of their brackets. Jean-Marie Djidjoho received fourth in his weight class. Tommy Whitaker finished as runner-up in his bracket.

“I was surprised that I was able to get second,” Tommy Whitaker said, “when I lost my third match, I was mad at myself, but then I realized that I got second in my weight class.”

There were 11 other schools that competed in the B-3 District Tournament. Of these, three schools stood out. Gretna, Bennington, and Schuyler all scored above 150 points. Gretna scored an unbelievable 300.0. Mount Michael was able to come away with 57.0 points, giving them 7th place.

“We did well.” Coach Bob Sullivan said, “ Three of our wrestlers qualified for state, and our old and new wrestlers showed a lot of improvement throughout the season.” This was  Sullivan’s first year as head coach for wrestling and has already made an impression on the program.

“I think that Mr. Sullivan is a great coach and deserves to be head coach,” Patrick Fayad ’19 said. “He is a great motivator and helps us keep focus on our improvement, training, and, of course, diet.”