Filed under Sports

Rival Game Ends in Defeat For JV Knights

In a closely fought game, Skutt Catholic JV triumphed over a 10-man Mount Michael JV 3-2 on Tuesday.  Forward Joseph Johansen ‘20 and midfielder Diego Amian ‘19 scored the goals for the Knights but they weren’t enough to lift them over the Skyhawks.

The major talking point of this game came early on when the referee sent defender Hudson Hohman off for a tackle in the 18-yard box. The decision split opinions with some believing that it was deserved while others felt it shouldn’t have been given.

“It was a foul and a penalty but I don’t think that Hudson should have gotten the red card. I saw the Skutt player trip over Hudson, but I don’t think Hudson was trying to even tackle the player,” defender Jack Avilla ‘18 said.

Despite the foul, goalkeeper Trevin Detwiler stopped the penalty and kept the score at 0-0. By the end of the first half, the score was 2-1 to the Skyhawks with the Knights hoping to gain momentum from Johansen’s goal.

“Joseph’s goal was pretty good. I think he shot it from outside of the box and the goalie wasn’t able to keep it out,” midfielder Shin Fujita ‘19 said.

The Skyhawks scored an early goal in the second half to bring the score to 3-1 and the Knights were left to chase the game for the rest of the half. Even though, a goal by Amian with around five minutes left gave the Knights some hope, they were not able to tie up the game and it ended 3-2 in favor of the Skyhawks.

“If we had all 11 players on the field, then I think that we should have won the game. It sucks that we didn’t get to win but I am looking forward to the next game against Gretna on Monday to try and get a win,” Amian said.
   The loss brings the JV Knights’ record to 1-3 with their other two losses coming against Creighton Prep and Fremont High.