Filed under Features, News, Showcase

Drafting Program Finds More Success

Future engineers and architects in the drafting program took home three golds, two silvers, and a award of distinction with $500. On March 30, juniors and seniors presented a project they worked on for most of the year Society of American Military Engineers (SAME) competition.

Many schools go to the competition to propose ideas of advancement and projects in engineering,  architecture and science.

Seniors worked on a project called Bridging the Gap, which proposes building a bridge across the roads from the old school to the new one. The juniors planned “A New Era of Camp Mount Michael,” making camp have more opportunities by adding cabins.

For drafting teacher Marilyn Theis the best part is the process.

“My favorite part is how the kids grow , they gradually become more and more invested, and the hardest part is letting go,” Mrs. Theis said referring to both their projects and the students themselves.

It is a challenging process and students take away a lot from it.

“A program like this exposes you to a new world of thinking and teaches you several skills that are helpful for the future,”  Joseph Coldiron ‘17 a member of the senior team said “The ability to work as a team towards a common goal is one of the most valuable skills in today’s world, and this project requires you to be able to work in a team.”

The team took on 20 other teams from varying schools. Some schools carried two teams while others only had one. There was a lot of competition. The drafting program has received 6 awards of distinction and one overall award called the Post President’s Award of Honor in 2015 with $2000.

“We have a great program, and it is only going to get better with the move to the new building.  Dr. Rzemyk is working to make sure that we have a state of the art room to work in,” Coldiron ‘17 said.

The 2017 team is glad to have added to that success,  and it was a long road to get there.

“I had spent the night before the presentation working on the project until around two AM, and so I got to the presentation running on three hours of sleep and a generous dose of Rockstar,” Coldiron ‘17 said.

In 2015, the award money went back into the program to purchase a 3D printer, the money always goes back into the drafting program to improve it.

For some students this project is the prelude to a career.

Brenden Walsh ’10  is now in New York with BuroHappold Engineering as a Graduate Structural Engineer that designs stadiums. He is currently the design head for a new stadium in Atlanta.

“The program has came a long way,” Mrs Theis said.  “Moving down to the drafting room helped a lot. The program is growing, the strength of our math and science programs help, Future engineers need heavy doses of math and science.”