New Floor Who This?

If there is one thing borders look forward to the most when it comes to going back to school, it would be the roommate assignments. This list normally is not sent out until the week before school starts, meaning everyone is either guessing who he will room with or worried that he might not get the roommate he wanted all summer.

Other than the roommate list, residential life can also differ greatly depending on which floor you have and who your dean is. Normally the junior and freshman dorms do not change; it is the sophomore and senior floors that tend to flip back and forth. This year, the seniors will be using the second floor.

Some might say a single floor would not matter much, but it means a lot more than just getting to classes quicker. There are two shower rooms on the third floor; one for freshmen and the other for the juniors and sophomores/seniors. Two classes sharing one shower room can be very crowded on occasion, usually after athletic events.

Also, if you have used the third-floor shower room, you would know that only a few showers will have hot water. It can be a struggle at times when showering together takes up a large part of bonding and building brotherhood.

There are several other luxuries that the third-floor classes need to share, such as the microwave and cleaning supplies.

Some students assume that the reason behind putting the seniors on the second floor is that they could influence the juniors in a bad way. Or, it could be simply because they deserve the better floor. It is a somewhat similar situation to that of the freshmen; the freshmen are isolated so they are not affected by anyone, while the seniors are isolated so they stay away from everyone else.

Nevertheless, whichever floor you get the entire class always makes the best out of it. In the end,  there is never a ‘bad year’ in residential life at the Mount.