Filed under Showcase, Sports

Loss brings Renewed Hope

Concordia punts the ball the ball. Outside Back Jackson Ramold prepares to block a Concordia player.

Nolan Zeger

Nolan Zeger

The Concordia Mustangs defeated the Knights 38-14 last Friday night. Despite the loss, the team hopes to learn from their mistakes and come out with a win against Schuyler on homecoming weekend.

“We experienced our first loss and we now know what it feels like. We are going to do whatever we can to not experience that again,” Quarterback Sid deMayo ‘17 said.

Head Coach Greg Wunderlich reflected on the outcome of game and how the team could have done better.

“I think what we are struggling with right now is punching back. We have been able to do it with two of our earlier victories, but weren’t able to do it against Concordia. When they ran a big play, we did not respond,” Wunderlich said. “Our guys are really resilient and I know that we will do better.”

The yell leaders, even though the team was losing, showed their support by chanting throughout the entire game.

“I love Mount Michael and we are going to cheer whether we are up by fifty or down by fifty,” yell leader Liam Bova ‘18 said.

Students proved that they were willing to cheer loud for the football team. On the first chant, Coach Wunderlich actually told the student section to be quiet so that he could call a play.

“We changed the timing of our chants so that we started them after the players were completely lined up,” Bova  said.

Wunderlich along with the other coaches are helping the players realize what they are doing wrong by watching film and helping them to improve.

“A lot of what we are doing is teaching. We aren’t going to change everything just because we lost,” Wunderlich said. “Film is really important because it it is a mental rep. Then we go onto the field and improve on what we learned. We have faith in our guys.”

This week at practice was about learning from the mistakes, setting goals, and improving their skills.

“We are setting specific goals for the team. This gives a focus on what we expect of them,” Wunderlich said. “We are also splitting practice up into more individual skill work so that everyone can improve in their specific field of play.”

deMayo has confidence that the team will come back and play a great game against Schuyler on Friday.

“I look forward to bouncing back as a team by going into the game confidently with our adjustments and coming out with a win,” deMayo said.