Filed under Opinion, Showcase

The Art of Bed-Making

I never used to make my bed, yet somehow now I do. It is not that I resented it; I just considered it a waste of time.

Before high school, I ended each night by crawling into a mess. I sprawled across a crumpled sheet, and on top lay a tangled mess of knotted comforter kicked to the side that looked more like a boa constrictor than a blanket. My bed was more nest than furniture.

Things started to get interesting in the early days of the freshman dorm once I got to Mount Michael. Every morning, our dean Tim Struckman required we make our beds before school started.

Freshman year can be a very disorienting time; there are a lot of new things and moving parts. Between scrambling to finish homework, rushing to classes, and meeting new friends, making my bed was a low concern as I struggled not to get swept away in the storm of confusion.

On top of this, it is no secret that I am not a morning person. It would have been a rare occasion if I was up before 7:30 freshman year. Each day began in a rush. I would race to brush my teeth and hair, shove books in my backpack, and run bleary-eyed downstairs to class with my shoes and tie untied, leaving my poor, neglected bed in the dust. Needless to say, I collected plenty of demerits for not making my bed.

I do not recall exactly when or why, but somehow things changed. Now I make my bed every morning without fail, even on lazy summer days that find me waking up at one in the afternoon.

For some strange reason, I can hardly leave my room without doing so. It gives me the same feeling as if I were leaving my house with full knowledge of candles burning in every room; it just does not sit well. An unmade bed is the first thing I notice when entering any bedroom.

Now, this article is not a command for everyone to adopt my compulsive traits, nor is it a crusade against non-bed-making heathens to change their sinful ways. It is simply a friendly suggestion to try something new and provide my reasons for swearing by bed making.

First of all, a neat bed is the first step to a clean room. Visually, it makes all the difference. The messiness of a few shoes tossed on the floor and the odd shirt laying around is amplified by an unkempt bed. Additionally, the act of making my bed leads me to form more habits of organization and overall cleanliness.

It even adds depth to the room itself. Now the bed is no longer wasted space. It can serve as a couch or a place for folding laundry. And who would want to fold laundry on a tangled up,  unmade bed? Nobody.

Another great reason for making your bed is that it can be very gratifying. Anyone looking at it as a chore is taking the wrong approach. By making your bed, you start your morning by finishing a simple task, giving yourself a sense of accomplishment and setting the tone for the day. And if absolutely nothing goes well that day, then at the very least you have a nice, tidy bed to return to when it is finally over. Making your bed is like preparing a gift for your future weary self to unwrap each night with glee.

A great way to simplify making your bed is by losing your top sheet. Frankly, top sheets do not do you a lot of good. Each night, they inevitably end up in the most impossible tangles and constrict your movement while sleeping anyway.

When making your bed the next morning, it is easy to get lost in the world of hospital corners and toe pleats. Without a keen eye and the precision of a fabric surgeon, mistakes are almost always bound to show in fixing the top sheets. I stopped using them, and I never turned back, trusting only my faithful quilted duvet.

Despite what I have said, take my advice with a grain of salt. These are my secrets to my own personal comfort, something that is different for everyone. If whatever you choose to do for your bedroom tidiness is working, then, by all means, keep doing it. However, if there is one thing I would like to impart, it is that you will not have an ounce of regret in starting to make your bed.

1 Comment

One Response to “The Art of Bed-Making”

1. Lois Akers on September 28th, 2017 10:09 am

Excellent!!! Have you seen the YouTube video by a military speaker at a graduation ceremony? He gives many good reasons like you to making your bed! Good habit and you may make your future wife happy too!

[Reply]

• The Art of Bed-Making

Opinion

NFL is Back and Better than ever

• The Art of Bed-Making

Opinion

Hudson Says Go Live Your Life

• The Art of Bed-Making

Entertainment

New Floor Who This?

• The Art of Bed-Making

Opinion

One International Student Tries Something New During Winter Break

• The Art of Bed-Making

Opinion

The Art of Painting Shoes

• The Art of Bed-Making

Opinion

Formal Dress Attire is an Opportunity to Get Funky

• The Art of Bed-Making

Opinion

Adidas is Steps Ahead In the Shoe Industry

• Opinion

Harvard Republican Club

• Opinion

“Gotta catch ’em all.”

• Opinion

Why There is NO Greatest Olympian

The Art of Bed-Making