Filed under Entertainment, Showcase

IPhone 8 Review

Nolan Zeger shows off the IPhone 8.  He was able to get it the day it came out through pre-order.

Nolan Zeger shows off the IPhone 8. He was able to get it the day it came out through pre-order.

Photo by Joe Hitzemann

Photo by Joe Hitzemann

Apple has recently unveiled its newest iPhone, and with that, the new expensive prices.  The iPhone X still doesn’t come out until December, but the iPhone 8 became available September 22.

After using a 5s held together with some gorilla tape for about 6 months (after my iPhone 6 got knocked off the back of a boat) I decided I needed an upgrade.  I managed to get my dad to go in on a deal with me to get the 8.

So the on paper facts:  It is about the same size as an iPhone 7, with just .01 millimeters bigger in width, depth, and height.  It contains a neural engine, which basically means it can process things like images “must faster than a regular CPU”.   This neural engine can reportedly perform up to 600 billion operations per second.  It also contains an A11 chip, which is reportedly the fastest chip ever put in a smartphone.  It is also compatible with wireless charging.

The back camera has a 1.8 aperture, 12 MegaPixel camera.  It has up to 5x digital zoom, and a Quad LED Slow Sync flash for darker settings.  The back camera can record video in 1080p at 60 fps.  It is able to take live photos.  The front camera has 2.2 aperture and has a 7 MegaPixel camera.

Using the phone, the Touch ID works extremely well, better than the 7.  The screen is very clear, and the pictures can turn out very nicely.  My old case for my 6 did not completely fit the phone, but I used a 7 case, and it fits just fine.  The best part about the phone is the new control center that came with IOS 11.  The new control center has a new second timer and more applications like low-power mode accessible with just a swipe.  It is further enhanced by 3D touch, with pressing down harder on the applications giving you access to different flashlight brightnesses or a quick timer.

Looking at the Apple website, the only difference between the 7 and the 8 comes down to a few things.  The 7 does not have an A11 chip, so should be slightly slower.  It is not compatible with wireless charging and does not have Slow Sync flash.  The 8 is higher rated for water damage and has ‘the toughest glass’ on an iPhone yet.  The 8 is also able to reach 50% charge in 30 minutes, which the 7 was not able to do.  There have also been some problems, as I have heard around MM with IOS 11 running smoothly on different generation iPhones.  The 8 has no trouble whatsoever.

Overall, the phone is exactly what you would expect and want from Apple.  I would rate it ⅘ stars because it has some new improvements that make it different enough from the 7 to make it stand out and runs IOS 11 better than the 7, but is still a bit too close to the last iPhone.