Filed under News

Pope Brings Awareness to Fake News

Bokai Zhang

Bokai Zhang

Pope Francis released the World Communications Day theme of Fake News on Sept. 29, the Feast of the Archangels. Fake news has been a controversial topic in American politics and media in the past year.

World Communications Day was set up a couple years after Second Vatican Council. It is meant to bring awareness to people about challenges within modern social communication.

I believe the pope is the most influential leader in the world, and he has listeners and supporters from a multitude of nations. Even some people who are not Catholic listen to what the pope has to say because it is relevant to today’s society. If anyone can make a statement that will change how people live their lives for the better, it is him.

The pope makes bridges by caring for others, and I like to relate this with American politics. The media is split into two extremes: liberal and conservative. Pope Francis’ call for professional journalism is asking people to get rid of their differences and make a bridge. This way, they can give the common people correct news.

Fake news has rocked the media sources in this country. I believe greed has been at the forefront of this new movement. The reasons why fake news is even a topic of discussion is because news stations are trying to earn every dollar they can. We are living in a society where it is about being the most successful and being the most influential than having good business practices and helping others.

When I read an article on the internet, I have no clue whether it is fact or fake; it only takes a single important word to change an article from real to fake.

An example of this is when one of my favorite rock artists, Tom Petty, died. He was pronounced dead by CBS News and Rolling Stone hours before his death. According to Fox News, Petty’s daughter verbally attacked Rolling Stone for saying that her father was dead. I would be mad if someone put a statement out like that just so they could have the top article in a news feed. It is very important for reporters and news stations to check their information so that they do not produce fake news.

Each channel is broadcasting what they think the people watching want to hear. And, maybe, it is what they want to hear. But somewhere deep down, they know that they were not told the full truth. Everyone wants to know what happened. They do not want to hear a washed out or cleaned up version that favors their party.

I am glad the pope is bringing more awareness about the dangers of fake news. Fake news is splitting nations apart. We are becoming each other’s enemies when we should be working together to solve problems.

1 Comment

One Response to “Pope Brings Awareness to Fake News”

1. Bob Van Haute on October 27th, 2017 10:00 am

That’s a great news opinion article. I totally agree with you! In fact, I cancelled my New York Times subscription yesterday. Journalism is difficult to follow these days. Way to go!

[Reply]

• Pope Brings Awareness to Fake News

News

Drafting Team Imagines New Life for Old

• Pope Brings Awareness to Fake News

News

A look into the opening of the D.J. Sokol Learning for Life Building

• Pope Brings Awareness to Fake News

News

Students Stay on Campus for Snow Day

• Pope Brings Awareness to Fake News

News

Teaser for Grand Opening of the David “DJ” Sokol Learning for Life Building

• Pope Brings Awareness to Fake News

News

Chairs of N.O.K Announce Video Contest, Raising Canes is the Award

• Pope Brings Awareness to Fake News

News

Class of 2018 Wins Warball Tournament…Again

• Pope Brings Awareness to Fake News

Features

IT Club Boots Up

• Pope Brings Awareness to Fake News

News

Bowlers Bowl their Last

• Pope Brings Awareness to Fake News

Features

Revamping Youth Ministry

• Pope Brings Awareness to Fake News

Features

Teachers Take in Totality

Pope Brings Awareness to Fake News