Filed under News, Showcase

Class of 2018 Wins Warball Tournament…Again

Back to Article
Back to Article

The senior class celebrates their win. The seniors are known to dress and paint for the tournament.

The seniors swept the warball tournament that took place on Tuesday and Thursday this week.  The double elimination had only one upset the entire tournament, and the games were jampacked with lots of action.  The seniors started off the tournament with a rout of the freshmen on Tuesday, who had their first taste of Mount Michael warball.  The game was shortly followed by the second first round match between the sophomores and juniors.  The juniors looked strong against the sophomores, easily quashing any chance of an upset.  They brandished arms such as Patrick Collins ‘19, who has verbally committed to pitch for the Creighton Bluejays in college.  The night ended with the winners bracket match between the juniors and seniors.  The seniors had a numbers advantage, and they started off the game with an aggressive approach that resulted in only a few students being called out and some key players such as Collins getting taken out.  However, this early push was reversed by a half-court shot that was drained by Quinton Moore ‘19, resulting in all the juniors who had been called out coming back onto the court and into the action.  Things looked dire for the seniors, but they continued to fight defeated the juniors.  The strong participation from the senior class helped overcome the turmoil that resulted from Moore’s half-court shot.

The games would resume on Thursday, with the freshmen and sophomores playing in an elimination game.  The sophomores had a weak showing on Tuesday but were able to turn around and have a huge numbers advantage.  They went from having less than twenty people showing up to having nearly their entire class present.  They easily defeated the freshmen, and immediately had to face the juniors in a rematch.  The juniors were overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of the sophomores, and the sophomores were looking like a formidable force going into the championship game against the undefeated seniors.

The seniors entered the gym waving flags and ready to win the warball tournament, but it was undeniable that the sophomore class was on a roll and ready for an upset.  The seniors, who had such large numbers on Tuesday, had a noticeable decline in a number of students on their team.  They were outnumbered by the sophomores, and the game started off poorly for the seniors.  The sophomores successfully eliminated key seniors such as Ben Arkfeld ‘18 early in the match, and there was no doubt that they were off to a good start.  As the game progressed, the seniors were able to reverse the tides and slow the momentum of the sophomores.  Andre Kakish ‘20 and Drew Thorton ‘20 both led their teams to an early lead in the game, but the elimination of Kakish was a key turning point in the middle of the game.  The sophomores began to become desperate, and students such as Nick Buresh ‘20 began to take some early half-court shots in the hopes of taking back the game.  There were volleys of gator-balls flying at the backboard, and there were some close calls, one even bouncing off the back of the rim.  The seniors were able to outlast these attacks though and pushed back against the sophomores with the leadership of Andrew Nigro ‘18, who had around eight catches, and John Hudson ‘18.  The game ended with Logan Hock ‘20 and Alex Payne ‘20 trying to fend off the remaining seniors.  In a last-second attempt for a comeback, Payne launched a shot at the opponents rim, but the shot came up short and was intercepted by Grant Pavlik ‘18.  This resulted in the seniors winning the warball tournament, following last year’s surprise last-second defeat of the Class of ‘17 who was dramatically upset in a one-on-one matchup between Ryan Riddle ‘17 and Ian Kim ‘18.