Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Wooten is Wooed by the New Building

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wooten is Wooed by the New Building

Sam Wooten '20 takes in the sunrise through the windows on the east side of the building.

Staff Photographer

Staff Photographer

Staff Photographer

I approve of the new building on the campus.

I feel like the new building is a good addition to the school’s campus and is very helpful in living up to the whole “college prep” part of Mount Michael. I mean, how many college campuses are only one building?

In fact, this new building was mirrored and based off of other Universities according to Dr. Ryzmek. Sure, the passing period is probably hard since we go back and forth between the old and new buildings, facing the weather and the painfully hard concrete on our delicate feet as we cross the parking lot. To me, the pros outweigh cons by a lot.

I am really enjoying the new building. The old school’s classrooms felt cramped while the ones here are a lot roomier. The new building also feels a lot more technologically advanced because it seems to have upgraded its “old school” (pun intended) to a newer version. Although the classes that are getting left behind in the old building are going to be a little annoying to go back and forth to, the classes over here are going to be awesome since we’re already there.

One of the things I am really excited about is the new science wing. I feel like the whole area got an upgrade with the bigger space. My personal experience with the chemistry room backs this up. For example, our desks are now separate from the lab stations so we don’t have our books getting in the way and doing stupid things like catch on fire. We also have the ability to use Bunsen burners that are connected to the station so students don’t have to use matches or lighter. The stations are also bigger so if we have to bring things over with us, they don’t get in the way and disrupt our lab.

The new lockers are also going to help since we all get more space for our stuff and a place to call our own.  If you look at the new lockers, then look back at the old day student lockers, then back to the new lockers (for dramatic effect), day students got quite an upgrade. Mine, for example, is in a just right spot that I can go from study hall (8th period) to religion (9th period) while picking up my books on the way. The new lockers are double the size of the old ones too, excluding the freshmen lockers because you can fit a person in them(don’t ask why I know that, I just do), so you can fit more books in them.

Study hall is now different with both pros and cons. Some pros to having study hall in the new building are that if you have back to back study halls then they are in the same room and you do not have to get up and move in any of them(except the ones with assigned seats because THAT makes sense).They are also a lot quieter now and more orderly which makes studying a lot easier and you can get more homework done with fewer distractions. Some problems are that now with more enforced things(like seats), the communal aspect of it has degraded and now people feel too shy to ask others for help because it would make noise and they would get in trouble from a teacher.

One thing that does affect the use of the new building is the student’s schedules as well. Some students got lucky and have schedules that have all classes in the new building in the morning and the old one in the afternoon. Others that were less fortunate have to go back and forth every other period for classes. I am in the middle of those examples because I still have to go back and forth, but I do not have to do it as often in the morning, and in the afternoon I only switch once on certain days. This doesn’t affect me too badly, so I can not complain. However, I am sure that some people have a thing or two to say about their schedules.

The new building has a lot of pros and I am sure there are some cons, but, since I am such a “positive person” I like to look at the positives of this new addition to the Mount Michael campus. So overall, I approve.