Wrestlers Learn from Tough Match

At the beginning of the match Patrick Fayad '19 grapples with a Conestoga wrestler to prevent an escape.  In wrestling an escape is when a wrestler looses his dominant position.

Jimmy Crotty

At the beginning of the match Patrick Fayad '19 grapples with a Conestoga wrestler to prevent an escape. In wrestling an escape is when a wrestler looses his dominant position.

The Mount Michael Knights and the Conestoga Cougars grinded out every match ending initially in a 38-38 tie but the win was handed to the Cougars 39-38 after the judges went over the dual.

“We weren’t at full strength but we competed really well,”  head coach Bob Sullivan said. “Some guys were sick, some injured, but what are you going to do.”

Sullivan was optimistic about the dual but his players were still hard on themselves.

“It was a good dual and I think that we should’ve won and that made it a tough loss,”  wrestler Andree Kakish ‘20 said.

The match was  a nail bitter all the way through.The Cougars had a great start and stayed in front  until the Knights managed to build a good momentum for the last couple matches which caused the lead to go back and forth between the two teams.

“I thought it was very interesting and we had a great comeback,” student manager Connor Murphy ‘20 said.

Max Kaster ‘20 faced off against a wrestler who was 31-0 and the second best wrestler in the state.

“There was no way I was going to win,” he said.

But there were still several people who won their matches including Lincoln Badley ‘21, Aiden Pace ‘19, Patrick Fayad ‘19, Sam Gustafson ‘21, Robert Khorram ‘19, James Johnson ‘21, and Liam Bova ‘18.

While it was a tough loss, some of the wrestlers were focused on the the next match. They are looking at the bigger picture preparing themselves for state.

“We performed well but we need more conditioning because we ran out of gas at the end of our matches” Cole Wilbur ‘21, who lost his match, said 

In any case, one wrestler is confident that they just need to make a few tweaks to be competitive.

“I think we made a lot of mistakes that we can fix. We could’ve done better but we need to adjust to send as many wrestlers as possible to state,” Khorram said.