Filed under Entertainment

Whitaker Shares Thoughts on PUBg

Photo Illustration by Brayden Whitaker

Photo Illustration by Brayden Whitaker

The battle royale genre has completely swept the world of video games over the past year. In my opinion, this last-man-standing scenario has been nearly perfected in the game PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds.

PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBg) follows the battle royale formula to its core: 100 players are dropped from a plane onto one of two island maps and are forced to fight for their lives in order to be the lone victor at the end of the match. As the game goes on, the playable area of the map shrinks due to a damaging boundary circle, and this continues until there is one person left standing. You must collect weapons, ammunition, helmets and armor, healing items, and even vehicles to try and improve your chance of victory over the 99 other players.

The graphics of PUBg are modeled after the real world; it has a more realistic approach. The game does not have a cartoonish art style like its competitor, Fortnite. I personally enjoy the realistic graphics better, as the cartoon feel of Fortnite is not as appealing to me.

Even though I think that PUBg is the best battle royale game, it does have its mishaps. For one, it is not a very well optimized game, meaning that it does not run very efficiently on your computer. This forces your computer to do more work to get the same result as other games, which requires a better computer. Also, the game has a history of bugs, but they are lessening with each update that is put out. For example, the Xbox One version of the game has improved this problem drastically.

Victory is the ultimate goal, but even without it PUBG is a ridiculously fun game to play. Despite a simple premise, the variety of items, locations, players, and maps is what keeps the game interesting every time you play it. The abundance of updates, whether they add new items or just fix some bugs, keep the game feeling fresh.

My verdict is that PUBG has taken the battle royale formula that many other games have used in the past and completely surpassed them in almost every way. It has streamlined it into quick rounds of accessible action. Every round feels like a unique, tense adventure, and this is what has kept me coming back for hours of enjoyment.