Filed under Entertainment, Showcase

Farrell Says Believe the Hype about Fortnite

Photo Illustration by Callan Farell

Photo Illustration by Callan Farell

Fortnite Battle Royale is the newest installment in the ever-growing battle royale genre of video games. I have recently gotten the chance to experience the battle royale game. Although I don’t know an exact number of players for the game I think Fortnite has a higher player count than PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds(PubG) at the moment because Fortnite is free to play.

It is a stand-alone mode from the original game Fortnite. It came out in September of 2017 and was created by Epic Games.

Fortnite is game where 100 players drop out of a flying bus and float down using a glider onto the map. Once they have landed they gather guns, ammo, medical supplies, and shields. This is similar to PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, but in Fortnite shields give you extra health as opposed to PUBG in which armor just gives reduced damage. The point of the game is to be the last person standing. Once a player wins a game they achieve Victory Royale and they also can choose to use an umbrella instead of a glider.

The graphics in Fortnite are very cartoony and vibrant. I really enjoy this about the game because it is different from other games. The foliage and buildings in Fortnite are colorful yet still simple in design and animation. The game runs smoothly on both PC and console platforms. The graphics in Fortnite are the polar opposite of its main competitors, PUBG.

The map in Fortnite has seventeen named locations. The names of all of these locations include alliteration. Some examples of the locations are Pleasant Park and Greasy Grove. They are also several other smaller, unnamed locations on the map. This is different from other Battle Royale games because it gives players option to drop into much more busy areas for a better chance at the best loot.

One of the main standout differences from Fortnite is the ability to gain materials and build. Players can find resources on the ground or they can break things to gain materials. Once they have ten of any material they can build a wall, floor, ramp, or triangle-shaped roof. Things that you will often see in game is large bases that players will use to gain the height advantage on other players. I personally enjoy the building in Fortnite because I believe it allows for a higher skill ceiling and also can really save your life. However, it is annoying when you try to take someone down and they immediately start panic building.

Overall, I believe that Fortnite’s success is far from over and that the battle royale genre is going to be seeing lots of new titles in the next few years. I believe that Fortnite is the best battle royale game right now because of its cartoony graphics and map style, free to play pricetag, and the ability to build adding another to the combat within the game.