Filed under Showcase, Sports

Mistakes Cost Knights Opener

Wide receiver Eli Crnkovich '21 waits for quarterback Sid deMayo '19 to hike the ball. The Rams defeated the Knights 32-27 on August 24th.

Skyler Davis

Skyler Davis

The Ralston Rams defeated the Mount Michael Knights 32-27 Friday night in a mistake-laden game. The Knight’s strong second and third quarters were cancelled out by sloppy opening and closing quarters.

The game was filled with mistakes from start to finish. The teams combined for five fumbles that resulted in turnovers, four of which were by the Knights. Both teams struggled with penalties, with a combined total of 224 penalty yards. A Ralston player was ejected, and Mount Michael had several long runs negated.

“It was really frustrating to have all those plays get called back,” said Mount Michael running back Jackson Ramold ‘20, whose third quarter, 64-yard run was nullified by a holding penalty. “Brichacek ‘19 got called for a holding penalty just for pancaking a guy on my long run.”

The Knights entered the fourth quarter clinging to a 20-19 lead, but it went downhill from there. Ralston scored 13 straight points on time-consuming drives, leaving Mount Michael with only six minutes to try and win the game. They closed the gap to five on Ramold’s two-yard touchdown with just over two minutes remaining, but the Rams held the ball for the remainder of the game to capture the victory.

The game was a tale of contrasting quarters, with the Knights playing drastically better in the second and third quarters compared to the first and fourth. The opening and closing quarters were filled with turnovers and missed defensive assignments, while the middle quarters held quality drives and shutdown defense.

“In the second and third quarters we let our linemen get us back into the game,” Mount Michael Head Football Coach Greg Wunderlich said. “We ran at will, played without errors, and converted drives. Our motto at practice this week was ‘start fast and punish late,’ and I don’t think we did either of those tonight.”

The Rams jumped out to an early lead, scoring two early touchdowns to take a 13-0 advantage at the beginning of the second. Mount Michael fought their way back into the game with touchdowns from Ramold and quarterback Sid deMayo ‘19 to knot the game at 13.

Ramold scored a 32-yard touchdown on the Knights’ first drive of the second half. Left tackle Taylor Davis ‘19 blocked and accompanied Ramold for the duration of the run, pancaking several Ralston players on his way to the end zone.

“Taylor Davis played outstanding,” Wunderlich said. “When he entered the game, it changed the game for us. Jackson Ramold played really well, too. He could barely stand by the end of the game.”

Ramold led a potent rushing attack for Mount Michael, running for 146 yards on 28 carries, scoring three touchdowns, while deMayo rushed for 160 yards, averaging more than 8 yards per carry, including a 49-yard touchdown scamper late in the first half.

The Knights are scheduled to face the Gross Catholic Cougars on Friday night.

1 Comment

One Response to “Mistakes Cost Knights Opener”

1. MK on August 31st, 2018 11:36 pm

Great story, Jacob. Lots of detail, good visual scene-setting with colorful quotes from the right athletes and coaches! Keep it up. Hope you report on every game!

• Mistakes Cost Knights Opener

Opinion

It Is Not as Bad as It Seems

• Mistakes Cost Knights Opener

Features

Monk’s Life Continues to Affect Community

• Mistakes Cost Knights Opener

Features

Seniors Find Affordable Delivery Service

• Mistakes Cost Knights Opener

Sports

Receiver Reels in Successful Season

• Mistakes Cost Knights Opener

News

Battle for Congress Leads to Victories for Both Parties

• Mistakes Cost Knights Opener

Opinion

The Greatest Holiday? Why It’s Halloween

• Mistakes Cost Knights Opener

News

Blood Donors Needed to Help Save Lives

• Mistakes Cost Knights Opener

Features

Seniors Flex with Creative Coats

• Mistakes Cost Knights Opener

Sports

Tennis Team Sweeps Conferences

• Mistakes Cost Knights Opener

News

Seniors Celebrate Monday Nights

Mistakes Cost Knights Opener