Filed under Features, Showcase

President Wilson Plans for Future

Back to Article
Back to Article

President Wilson Plans for Future

President and yell leader Andrew Wilson '19 participates in the

President and yell leader Andrew Wilson '19 participates in the "White Out" against Ralston. Wilson's involvement as a yell leader is part of his objective to be more involved with the student body.

The student body chose Andrew Wilson ‘19 as student body president last May. Already, Wilson has impacted the school, starting email chains, notifying the school of football games and themes and bridging his responsibilities as a yell leader and president.

Wilson says he has “high hopes” for this year. He plans to work more as a man of the people, rather than a representative.

“I want to change my attitude from just representing and trying to make the student experience better for my class to making it better for the student body as a whole,” he said.

He plans to do this by improving student-populated activities like tailgates, improving student interaction between classes, and especially improving dances. He plans to advertise them more in hopes of increasing attendance and improving their overall quality.

“I don’t want to spoil too much, but the biggest plan we have this year by far is improving on the experience at dances through activities at dances, club ads, prizes, and a better music selection,” Wilson said.

Wilson wants to improve student council as well. He plans to work closely with each council head to “maximize efforts” on their projects. He thinks that working closer together will make planning the year “a breeze.”

“Personally, as president, I will be working with all the committees to direct them in the right direction to get stuff done,” he said.

As much as he wants to bring change, Wilson realizes that a complete restructure of student council would not be beneficial this year. Though, he hopes his efforts will help to set up future Mount Michael leadership.

“I personally see this year going really well, but we can’t change everything at once. As someone that understands this, I want to make sure I leave a good foundation for later years of student council,” Wilson said.