Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Carleton Shares Views on the Fortnite Hype

It has been more than a  year since the initial release of Fortnite. Despite this, lots of “Fortnite hype” still surrounds the game. One reason I find Fortnite annoying is because its player base is made up of millions of annoying, little kids that have no idea how to truly play the game. Another reason is that, with few exceptions, people never seem to get better at the game.

Although it revolutionized the gaming community, Fortnite has also changed how families interact with one another. I know several parents in the Mount Michael community who roll their eyes whenever Fornite is mentioned. Parents and siblings of five-day boarders want to see their Mount Michael boys as much as they can over the weekend. However, Fortnite creates a barrier that limits the amount of time kids have to interact with their families. Whether it be spending hours upon hours playing squads or ignoring their friends and families to complete challenges, Fortnite has given kids the idea that gaming equals social activity.

Fortnite, when played right, is a strategic game. It’s not as easy as people think. Players need to grab materials, locate an effective starting point on the map, and find weapons to eliminate other players.

What really gets me is that, Fortnite has the audacity to throw in random challenges that are difficult and annoying. I mean, it may take up to a full week just to complete a single challenge. If you have ever watched gaming YouTuber Ninja, he doesn’t play the game to earn experience points. He only plays to win.

I will admit that one thing I like about Fortnite is its skins. A “skin” allows a player to customize his or her character with almost any fictional idea you can think of. For instance, Fortnite skins include soccer players, cuddly bears, and scary monsters.

But the small cost with these skins is you have to pay for them.   Yes, some skins are visually pleasing, but just one Fortnite skin runs around $20, and it is something that can never really be worn. I mean, c’mon man. That’s ridiculous. Let’s not forget about the Battle Pass either, which costs an additional $10 per season. It’s all just a waste of money. Don’t fall for it. You would be much better off spending your time and money with your family.

Finally, have you ever shared a lobby with a young and inexperienced child? If you haven’t just listen. The kid is probably chomping on some nacho cheese Doritos. You might even smell his Doritos through your microphone. Instead of discussing strategy or communicating about attack timing, he may be talking about his “long” day at school and about how difficult his Math class was. Lobbies aren’t meant to be used for fun, use a phone for that instead.

I applaud Fortnite for taking over the gaming community. It’s quite difficult to do what Fortnite has done. Though, because of continual annoyances Fortnite has created, I find that the game is completely overrated. Fortnite needs to slow down and come up with its some new ideas.