Filed under Showcase, Sports

Tennis Team Sweeps Conferences

On Tuesday, Oct. 2, the Knights tennis team took the court for the annual River Cities Conference tournament. The team began the day determined to succeed and concluded with the highest overall team score, sweeping all four divisions: one singles, one doubles, two singles, and two doubles. This is the first time the team has swept the conference tournament.

In his second year in number one singles, Isaac Gart ‘21 had little problems throughout the day. He won all six matches by a combined score of 48-7. Gart heads to Lincoln with a 26-6 game record and hopes to achieve the third seed in the state tournament. He looks to upset the second seed, and Head Tennis Coach Chase Petersen believes Gart is the best tennis player in the state.

Joe Hitzemann ‘19 and Peyton Rosenfels ‘20 also rolled early on in the day at number one doubles, beating Skutt 8-2. Hitzemann and Rosenfels were also 6-0 for the day, giving them an 18-3 record. They hope to obtain the fourth seed at state. Hitzemann and Rosenfels, along with Gart, had a game score of 48-7 at the RCC tournament.

Will Malissee ‘22 played number two singles and got off to a good start with an 8-1 win against South Sioux City. Though, he soon found himself in a tough matchup against Skutt and lost 8-9 (5-7). Due to upsets later in the day, however, he was able to take first place.

Alex Payne ‘20 and Logan Hock ‘20 played all day long and racked up a total score of 48-3, which brings them to a 7-1 match record heading into state. At number two doubles, Payne and Hock hope that the coaches on the seeding committee act in their favor, knowing they have few matches under their belt.

“We went in confident and we played some of our best tennis of the season,” Hock said, ”this will set us up well for state and we look to have a lot of success.“ The team came home with a plaque, but they did not stop to rest. After the tournament, the team ran one glorious victory lap, equaling the number of matches they lost that day.

The team came in 5th at the state tournament, placing all but one categories. Gart achieved a 3rd place medal in number one singles. Hitzemann and Rosenfels got 6th in number one doubles and Payne and Hock got 7th in number two doubles. The team also looks to come back strong next year, returning 5 of the top 6 players on the team.