Filed under News, Showcase

Battle for Congress Leads to Victories for Both Parties

Journalism adviser Gina Fosco takes a selfie right after voting in the mid-term elections.  There was a record turn out for the elections on Tuesday, according to Gary Langern and Benjamin Siu for ABC 58 percent of eligible voters cast a ballot up from 37 percent in 2014.

Journalism adviser Gina Fosco takes a selfie right after voting in the mid-term elections. There was a record turn out for the elections on Tuesday, according to Gary Langern and Benjamin Siu for ABC 58 percent of eligible voters cast a ballot up from 37 percent in 2014. "The line was going all the way down the stairs," Fosco said. "I have never seen so many people at my polling place."

Gina Fosco

Gina Fosco

The 2018 midterm election on Nov. 6 could shape American politics for the rest of Pres. Donald Trump’s term. In total, 436 seats in the House of Representatives and 33 seats in the Senate were up for election as well as thousands of state and local positions.  The Democrats ended up taking the majority in the House of Representatives while the Republicans expanded their majority in the Senate.

This election cycle was significant because maintaining a majority in congress would have allowed Trump and the Republican Party to further their policy with less resistance. Many Republican candidates ran on the repeal of the Affordable Care Act, though, without a majority in both houses, this is unlikely to happen. Democrats largely promoted further investigation into Trump, and some ran on impeachment.

“I am planning on getting out to vote because it is the only way that change is going to come about,” spanish teacher Colin Koehler said.

Famous faces got more heavily involved this election, encouraging fans to get to the polls and vote. This increased promotion comes after a lackluster 37 percent voter turnout in the 2014 midterm election and a 60 percent voter turnout in the 2016 presidential election.

Taylor Swift was recently criticized for her lack of political involvement until she came out with a large Instagram post endorsing Democrats Phil Bredesen for Senate and Jim Cooper for House of Representatives as well as telling her fans to go out and vote.