Filed under Features, Showcase

Seniors Find Affordable Delivery Service

Temi Adeyemo '19 poses with his Wish purchases.  His favorite is his Nigera chain which is a map of his home country.

Temi Adeyemo '19 poses with his Wish purchases. His favorite is his Nigera chain which is a map of his home country.

Nolan Zeger

Nolan Zeger

A constant battle for high school students is maintaining the balance between deciding to purchase things that they want and having the money to do so. Seniors have recently found a service to remedy this: Wish. Wish is a service that delivers products from the assembly line directly to the consumer, cutting out the middleman retailer and offering lower prices.

Joe Hitzemann ‘19 introduced the service to seniors beginning of October. He first saw the service when the Lakers wore it on their jersey a year ago.

“I really only paid attention to it when it was in the top of the app store in my suggested. Then I saw a cool watch so I decided to get it. It gave me discount codes for sharing the app, so I sent it to some people,” Hitzemann said.

Wish includes a lot of products, from clothes, to electronics, to watches, to car parts. It has pretty much everything. It does have one major flaw: product quality. The products come from China, and are typically lower quality than brand products.

“The watch that I bought looks nice and all, but the band is really low quality,” Sam Eberle ‘19 said.

According to ToughNickel, Wish is a legit site, similar to eBay or Amazon. Products do take longer to arrive, as they come from China, and expect to get off-brand items.

“My speaker I got was five dollars, and its sound is not very good. But, considering the price, it’s not that bad of a deal,” Hitzemann said.

Wish allows consumers to buy cheaper, less reliable products. It has a bit of a risk involved, as the consumer does not have any contact with the product beforehand, but when a good product is delivered, it is worth the money.

“Joe got me a few bracelets from wish. They aren’t made of real gold or anything, but they look cool,” Temi Adeyemo ‘19 said.

The service has began to influence senior culture as well, with popular products becoming popular, or students buying similar products to their friends.

“Watches are becoming more popular. Wish has cheap ones, and they still look pretty classy. It is nice to have Wish so we don’t have to pay a bunch of money for something that is just a nicety rather than a need,” Carson Leahy ‘19 said.