Filed under Opinion, Showcase

It Is Not as Bad as It Seems

Ms.+Hinrickson+tapes+a+leaf+on+the+window+next+to+the+gratitude+tree.+Students+on+November+8+wrote+what+they+were+thankful+for+n+these+leaves+during+passing+periods.+Recognizing+positive+things+illustrates+that+a+lot+of+good+things+are+happening+in+the+world.+We+should+take+the+time+to+notice+it.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

It Is Not as Bad as It Seems

Ms. Hinrickson tapes a leaf on the window next to the gratitude tree. Students on November 8 wrote what they were thankful for n these leaves during passing periods. Recognizing positive things illustrates that a lot of good things are happening in the world. We should take the time to notice it.

Right now, there are a lot of things that seem to plague the world. It is also hard to forget this when most news and information that is reported tends to be the breaking news, with the most exciting, dangerous, or heartbreaking story at the top.

For example, going on to a news site, the top story that might draw all of the clicks might be about some radical terrorist who planned to harm a group of people or the latest gossip about how something that happened twenty years ago is getting someone in jail today. While stories like these are important news and should get their coverage, they should not consume us. These stories are the ones that are clicked on, these are the ones that are considered news.

Ask someone how they think the world is doing and there is a good chance some societal ill will be their answer. Sexual assault, poverty, homelessness, starvation, and political turmoil are likely in their list.

Things that go right probably don’t make their list of noteworthy news. Yet there is a lot more good news happening in the world than you think.

For example, National Geographic reported in their October edition that poverty rates have been on a steady decline since 1990. Sub-Saharan Africa has dropped from 59 percent to 38 percent of people in extreme poverty.

During this same time, Southeast Asia, East Asia, and Oceania went from 59 percent down to 4 percent. Poverty rates globally are going down, and are all projected to go down even further.

Also, education problems across every region around the world have been addressed, and more are already focusing on building the quality of the education received.

HIV cases are also on the decline, and because of prevention tools, they are expected to heavily decrease in the future.

These are just some of the issues that have been in the path of the United Nations and their 2015 plan to address global issues.

Also, other worldwide issues have had positive outlooks as well.

• Child mortality rates have gone down continuously for hundreds of years, and are still going down.
  • In developed regions of the world, abortion rates have been decreasing since 1990.
  • Underage drinking rates have gone down and continue to decline.
  • Australia has almost eradicated a specific type of cervical cancer.
  • The possibility of having sustainable nuclear fission as an energy source is increasing every day.
  • Many scientific communities, including NASA, are releasing all of their research  to the public for free.
  • And finally, communication is constantly  improving and people even at young ages can make connections around the globe.
  • Other examples include the fact that scientists are closer than ever to creating medicine that will help with some symptoms of autism.

All of these things make the world a better place, and these were just a few of them. While there is always that negative breaking news which appears in our news feeds, we should not forget that we have come a long way, and that we are continuing to head in the right direction. In a world where pessimism usually rules, sometimes we need to take a second to find the optimism.