Filed under Features, Showcase

Students Help Out in Unheralded Ways

Louis+Mixan+%2721+answers+a+call+at+the+front+desk+during+his+work+study+on+Feb.+26.++Helping+at+the+front+desk+is+just+one+of+many+work+study+assignments+fulfilled+by+students.++Work+Study+has+been+an+integral+part+of+life+at+the+Mount+Michael+since+the+beginning.++%0AIn+an+article+written+for+the+Michaelean+in+October+1956%2C+Leland+Petsche+%2759+wrote%2C++%22St.+John%27s+Seminary+has+a+proud+reputation+of+having+hired+no+janitors+except+the+students+themselves.%22+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Students Help Out in Unheralded Ways

Louis Mixan '21 answers a call at the front desk during his work study on Feb. 26.  Helping at the front desk is just one of many work study assignments fulfilled by students.  Work Study has been an integral part of life at the Mount Michael since the beginning.  
In an article written for the Michaelean in October 1956, Leland Petsche '59 wrote,

Louis Mixan '21 answers a call at the front desk during his work study on Feb. 26. Helping at the front desk is just one of many work study assignments fulfilled by students. Work Study has been an integral part of life at the Mount Michael since the beginning. In an article written for the Michaelean in October 1956, Leland Petsche '59 wrote, "St. John's Seminary has a proud reputation of having hired no janitors except the students themselves."

Griff Wyse

Griff Wyse

Griff Wyse

Every morning, at 6:15, Matthew Collins ‘21 pulls himself out of bed. He crosses over to the David “DJ” Sokol building for work study, braving the darkness and sometimes bitter cold. He checks in, vacuums four classrooms, then hikes back.

Students who have work study help the school run. Whether it be cleaning classrooms, working the dish room, or helping the monks after evening prayer and supper.

Most students feel indifferent when it comes to work study, but they get used to it as it becomes part of their daily routine.

“I don’t necessarily love doing my work study, but I do know that it really helps with my tuition at this school,” Matthew Collins ‘21 said.

Among students, certain jobs are more coveted than others.

“My work study is the best. I am an office runner, and it’s basically just a study hall,” Louis Mixan ‘21 said. “But I remember my old one in the morning,  I had to wake up early and go to the new building in the cold.”

Work study, in all forms, is here to stay, and while some students have a love-hate relationship with it, most recognize its importance.

“Although some of us don’t like it, it does help pay for tuition, which is why many do it,” Dane Storch ‘21 said.

Collins, like others who have work study, goes through the rest of his day like any other student. There’s little difference between those who do and don’t have work study. Work study is just one more thing that they bring to the community.